Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Of sadness and songbirds

6.28 am.
I think Life is always a reflection of what we carry in our hearts at that given point in time. I remember 6 years ago in June when my mother was diagnosed with a life threatening situation, I would often wonder: why is the world smiling and going about as normal when my world is falling to pieces all around me?" I think that all of us go through these moments.
Today is the day: I have communicated the last 5 corrections to the printer and am on the way to hitting the ' go ahead' button. As I think of this, I realise that this is a new beginning. From what was 'just one book' now I am thinking of others. The possibilties are smiling back at me.
And even as I think of my uncharted journey, I am mindful of the world's pain. And whether we are doing enough for those who have less than we do. China, Myanmar, Darfur, our First Nations.....
I also think of everyday people, those that were in my world a long time ago. I think of my brother's friend from long ago, and the paths that he has been denied in this world; whether they will ever be able to educate his children enough to be able to enjoy a slice of the pie that is proudly referred as India Inc. Today, my brothers and sister have achieved great heights, they have refused to be packed in labelled boxes. Headstart is everything then, isn't it?
What is my role in this equation? Am I a constant or a variable? Am I an observor or a change agent?
One thing I know for certain: there is no such thing as an innocent by-stander.
The world watches and history gets written, how then do we not have blood on our collective hands?
A few lines from one of my poems: Dying Dreams that I had written after the Mumbai riots in 1993.
" Surely there is a shared God somewhere
to look after her"
I will think about this 'other' through this day when I reach out to touch my dream. How about you??
Stay well

No comments: