Sunday, May 18, 2008

ISBN Moment


Yesterday at 4.20 pm, my heart beat slowly and softly: everything done, Sri, one of the most supportive patient people I have met in recent times, got the ISBN number from my email and arranged the barcode on the back cover. I stood still, really still: this was a moment to live for, I will remember it forever.

Dreams do come true, mine took 8 years.
June 2000: I had started thinking about the book (I knew this would come back to me) when I returned from Saigon with the kids.
So all in all, I owe B-16 Venus Apts, (the very first home that we owned together, Deval and I) the first peace I ever enjoyed in my life after 1993 as well as the beginning of this book. I guess peace has that effect, it allows you to reach within and stretch higher. Of course you need a soul group to help you hold on, to believe in this mad caper as much as you do yourself, sometimes more. And here I am: a week away from holding my book in my hand.
I cautioned myself from thinking about nay-sayers: realistically I know that there is always someone who will scoff: this is the risk we take when we do something different. In this case, I have willed myself to step out of the labelled brown box and stand tall, while not being trapped by the invisible, crippling expectations of the world around me.
I asked my critical voice: Is this book being written for Rashmee first and foremost or to please those voices that denigrate?" And the answer came back loud and clear: this is MY legacy, for my life, for my children, my students and my roots ( in whichever order you see it).
This is the peace in my soul.
And I know this for sure: it can be done. That is my message to myself. Remind me when I forget. Deal?

Rashmee

2 comments:

Out of India said...

I can relate to what you mean by the ISBN moment. The work begins now! ...of getting it out there for people to see and share with you your joy and fullfillment.....(sp? some extra 'els' there right?)
I wish you the very best on this exciting path.

The Little Brown Box said...

Thanks, Out of India,

This too has been a lesson in holding on and letting go. How much is too much, what if I have missed and have I done my best. Only time will tell. For not the deep satisfaction that I feel at this ( can't call it work)is beyond description.