Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Shantikunj Family and why it's special


After a  busy weekend of driving around for chores, fixing some rushed cedar planting by a fly by night team and just being four decades and then some years old, my wrist and accident injury are hurting badly. I remember a time, through this tired Sunday evening haze of times when pain, mental or physical meant that I could just cry and someone would comfort me. The children are caring and I have a strong support  network but it's different somehow. I guess the chattr is gone and that causes more pain sometimes than the actual pain itself. As I ask for a pain killer and a glass of water I remember 1995 or 1996. Pappa was driving me to the weekend grocery shopping I think and a child ran in front of the scooter. He swerved to save the child and I slid off the pillion. Right opposite Rupal book store near Lok Seva school. And before I knew what had happened my ankle was swollen. I hobbled home and tried to rest. That evening passed in pain and final exams were near. I remember sitting in the cool verandah at Shantikunj with my leg extended and weeping with pain. And Samir was there, he was little then. He'd come to visit his cousins and we were all in one another's homes all the time so it was normal. I remember weeping quietly and Samir comforting me: radu nako Rashmee Tai, bara hoil lavkar. He should have been playing or something but he stayed there with me. 
Through my pain now I remembered that quiet evening in Shantikunj and maybe it was the magic of that moment or the kindness of those long ago words from a little boy, that it doesn't hurt as much anymore.
(C) 2014

No comments: