Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Mumbai speaks to me



The synecdoche
Of bashing my country
And my Mumbai
Leaves me pained
Are we so
Afraid of pointing
To those who line their pockets
That we blame ourselves 
over and over
And let them
Get away to their splurges
And crystal glass holidays
Their corporate nexus and
Their multi stories 
While flaneurs film squalor
To win Oscars and call 
Me a slum dog
And the one lone starving horse
Stares out over what was
Once your childhood beach
To watch those cars whiz on the SeaLink
And you nod over 
Sauvignon and oysters
And sell me once again
When you distance yourself
From me

Look at me
I'm Mumbai
Your Mumbai
I'm the name on your 
laminated birth certificate, child!

Fight for me
Every way
You know how
There's still time

Write letters
Make movies
Sign your name
Take the day off
And sit in silence
On tracks that are silent
Like they did
So you could breathe free 

It's my dream that
My children will fight for me
And my name and worth
And not blame me 
As if I orchestrated 
my own abuse

(C) 2014

No comments: