Thursday, January 20, 2011

Monsoon Girl

I grew up on the west coast of India where the Monsoons herald a break from the stifling heat and bring cool breezes and green vistas. ( and food in bellies too) Now in Canada, I hear so many complaints about the weather ( sure it snows, did we not hear about that in that latitudes lesson in geography class?) Clearly the himmat of Mumbai has spoilt me.

I continue to revel in the rain and this sometimes irritates people around me. Someone once grumpily said to me: Stop smiling, you are not in Mumbai anymore. Stop enjoying the rain"

And I quipped, still smiling: "The trees and plants in Canada need water too, don't they"

I am glad we have not yet messed up up this beautiful pattern and pray that we never do. The turning cycles of the weather teach me hope.

Monsoon girl is still smiling.

No comments: