Sunday, November 28, 2010

Don't dissect fireflies

A friend had once said to me

in life
do not dissect dragonflies

and interesting that a teacher in Bio class
years ago

had said the same thing
that as a child she used to

bury dragonflies,
thinking that

their jewel eyes
were treasures

to dig days later
and find nothing

since then I have always
wondered about them

iridiscent in the
glint of sunlight

yet as shortlived
as the best of us

so the Message was right

"Live in the now"

I said to the kids
when we were at Donapaula

with the glorious sunset vista
before us

Let us not say " When I come here again,
I will ..."

you are here now,
what are you doing about that?

Too many moments lost
in planning for the next one

As time spills
like grains of sand

except here,
I cannot retrieve a single one.

Today, now,
And every 'like', Jaan

every drop of chlorophyll
is a gift
as you are with me

No comments: