Saturday, February 13, 2016

Ivy League Mom

Namaskaru,

I wanted to share the wonderful news that my daughter, has been invited to Princeton U, U of Michigan, and Columbia University to pursue her Ph.D. in history. She hasn't decided where she is going yet, but she will soon.

Many friends and colleagues have asked me when I did to help her. Well, I do not claim credit for her success as each child is a gift. There are many others waiting in line to claim her and her success. You know how it is, the process is her problem, the outcome is everyones to gloat over. I smile at that. "Success has a thousand fathers, Didi", my wise brother reminded me. And I am sure many will pop out of the woodwork right about now.

What I do know is that apart from everything else, I stayed out of her way when she wanted to pursue her dream. When the child knows what she wants and how to get there, far be it from me to tell her not to try. Many did ask her from near and far, why history, what are the prospects, what will you do. They did not always ask it kindly, and they should have known better.

At times like this, she knew I was there to tell her to breathe and to look, unblinking at her goal. This is where the story of Arjun and the parrot's eye comes in handy. And the Universe conspires with you.

Thanks to all who have stood by my children and me through the 14 years here, and to those who have known me longer, and continue to keep me sane and strong.

I am thankful. Very.







Happy Family Day weekend.

No comments: