Thursday, February 4, 2016

Call me, maybe...

I smile when I think of the way life unfolds. How amazing it is that the spirit endures and gratitude flows alongside joy in my life as I look back and count blessings even as I breathe. A monk asks in a TED talk, does happiness come before gratitude or does gratitude before happiness.  I think it is the latter.

The Enlightened One has taught me and reminds me every day that my way forward is indeed the best one: without craving and without aversion, one breath in and another one out. Observe and let go. But here is the thing, He has also said that to be an observor does not mean that I do not speak up, I like that about this teaching, for I, sir, am no doormat.

I am fortunate that I have many who have walked with me in a multitude of ways, some whom I have not yet met who ask via social media: Kashi Ahes? and my loved ones from my maher, Shantikunj who daily share news about matki usal being cooked that day, or that the gulmohar is blooming. My aunt in Patna who shares my Amma's birthday who stands with me in my questions regarding a new normal that I am learning to live with, friends who took me grocery shopping, drove my daughter home from the hospital dropped off food for my son when I was unable to take care of with them. Aruna Akka who came by on lone day off and brought yummy upma, Mangala Pachchi with her bajri roti and baingan, Deeksha with your stoic presence beside me and that dear child with a wisdom far beyond his years. And my dearest Khurshid and Alka in Mumbai who had welcomed me with open arms to a school where I, then a 13 year old from Goa was a misfit in spite of my high academic scores. You were always kind, then as now. And for that kindness, I thank you and I love you dearly. I am very grateful.

Yet, I do I get messages for advice or to meet up, invitations to events with a caveat that for three years we have not entertained and we would love to see you now, I smile.

I get many questions about future prospects for a child's educational pathway that would require me to go through all the websites I have been sent and then chat for quite a long time about the "state of education in the province, country and the world at large", I politely decline the opportunity as my time as my advice are not relevant as I do not know the child and you cannot judge a programme unless you see the child within it. I smile.

But this I have to say: when you knew where to find me now, surely you knew where I was for a long time.

Call me maybe, just to say hi, before you actually need me. That'd be nice.

No comments: