Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Jai-Hind, caught at midnight


Dear compatriots in Hindustan: don't scoff at my Jai Hind
It comes from a place of respect
Where everyday I teach my children
And remind others around me
That there's more to me
Than silk saris and spicy samosas
And everyday I fight against
The mud slinging
When people call us 'those people'
I
 do not stand on a pedestal
I stand with you
Paying respects to the Tiranga
And cheering for our men in blue
I also remember LakshmiBai
And Bachendri, and Usha
And Kalpana
Arundhati
And Shamsia, Sudnya,
Advita, Ipsita, Kaaveri, Vishakha
And Veena
And I think of Tahira from across the border
Who calls me Didi
Batwaara and Azaadi
Two sides of the same coin then!
The lines drawn by unseen hands long ago
Wounds festering to this day
May freedom come
With humility and no caste divides
May no Nirbhaya die
And may we promise
That borders between hearts
Are erased forever
So the master plan of Batwara
Doesn't win over
And over
This I wish us
On this curious day
For both Jai Hind
And Sar Zameen are made of
People and
Their children, so like mine.

No comments: