Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What do they say to my children?

What do they say to my children?

once the doors are closed
and the bell rings, 
and I leave to cook and clean

I wonder when
I come back at noon with a hot lunch
and wait patiently listening
to words I understand
yet I cannot speak in, or scream in 
even when I want to
so I nod and smile
and they smile back

some of them look like me 
and I wonder do they step in 
when my children hurt

do they fight or even speak up, or walk away
when people laugh at my child's ignorance
or habits, that he doesn't shop at The Bay
or the smell of curry on his jacket?

I wonder who speaks for my child when I am not there

From school back home, I remember the sting 
on my hand from the cane
but here, 
they say they don't hit children now
thought they did long ago
 
so that is good, yeah?

yet I see the light go from my child's eyes
every year,
far away
and I know but cannot ask
and he, I know, will never tell
If he cries to me
I say to him
Ignore, try harder
this is for your good maybe
as that is what I was told

and the ones who stay with him, many
does she speak, I wonder, 
the one who looks like me
or the one with the kind eyes

Or maybe she too is silenced, 
for different reasons: of pay, 
or pain 
or for friendship 

What do they say to my children I wonder
when I leave him with strangers who
started out like me
and are now way up high
 
What do they say to them and about me
what do they say about my children, I wonder

What do they say yo yours?
Do you wonder too, my sister?

No comments: