Saturday, July 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Gurudutt maam

Born Gurudutt Padukone, this fine film maker went on to make some excellent pieces that won critical acclaim. Maybe it was more artsy to be considered Dutt than Padukone ( well, those were the days before dear Deepika).



As I was growing up, my father explained to me the play of light in the song Bichde Sabhi Bari Bari, to me the first born; the pain of the disappointed dreamer in this song. I would go with my parents to watch movies such as Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam and my Pappa explained to me the symbolism of the clock maker and the tyranny of entitlement (zamindari in that time, another breed today). I remember him laughing with heartfelt delight when at the end of the film, I had asked where the money had gone that the Bhootnath had given Chotti Bahu for safekeeping, the empty shelves were scary; little did I know the meaning of waning fortunes of any kind. Today National Theatre in Panaji lies in ruins and I walked past with the children on the way to 18th June road to buy a classy Titan watch for my son last year. Sudhakar's newspaper stall was still there.
I must have 9 or 10 then. I had enjoyed seeing the world through my father's eyes as he connected with the immense talent of Gurudutt and paved the way for my appreciation of film and story telling. it was our time together, movies and discussion. Today when I talk about books and films with my children, he comes to visit. He stays a while. he would have loved talking about Harry Potter with these two movie buffs that are gifted to me.

Today as I see a photo with a bird perched on the head of the Mahatma, I think of R.K. Laxman, another Pappa link and the question arose: Jinhe naaz par Hind par woh kahaan hai? And a voice softly answered: Right there in your heart, little one. You are proud of your roots aren't you. That's all that matters.

Thank you Gurudutt maam for sharing all this in such a short time. And thanks Pappa for your eyes and your passion.

1 comment:

Surbhi said...

I jus love his movies n songs n hv been watchin them since i ws a child....there is somethin very attractive about his persona...n the depthness in his creations....jus lv them .....ya n its really true....the little voice inside each of us....that keeps us goin..n yes v all r proud of ur roots...the tree may be be touchin the sky bt the roots are wht keeps us grounded to realities....amazin composition and amazin meanin....thx a ton for sharin this :))))))