Saturday, June 19, 2010

Milestones and moving on

This time of year is all about milestones. When I lived in Mumbai, June was the time for new books, new classes, lots of rain and new green grass. Here, in my home of 8 years, this is the time to say goodbye to grade 8 students as they graduate to their high school phase, to used duotangs where my son's manuscript edited by yours truly is tenderly filed: I stare at it for a long moment.

This is the time when the students who graduated in earlier years and who called me by my hyphenated last name for years suddenly call me ' miss' a message that the high school has done a fine job in many ways.

Milestones are watching my almost beautiful old-soul daughter disguise her excitement at turning 16 and being able to take driving lessons. I sneak a peek at her toothless laughing picture in the old photo album.

Milestones are all about knowing that I have come a long way and understanding that I have been given the gift of enjoying the journey.

No comments: