Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Today, I remembered a war


Today, I Remembered A War
This evening watching M*A*S*H with the kids
I was asked by my almost 11 year old son
“What is more difficult: being a soldier or being a doctor in a war
Is it more difficult to die or to watch someone else, helpless?”
And time once again compressed itself Like the Knight Bus
I was back in 1971 Windows papered with brown and black
Dinner at 6, something unknown
And the misplaced thrill of a 5 year old’s heart
for long shadows from candle light
Not knowing the seriousness
Of War, or Death The buzz,
the whine of planes overhead
Like so many bees
Hiding under covers and thinking
Who are these people?
Do they even know I am here
a tiny speck, a real person
and that I love puppies, chocolate and
to walk on the beach with my father?
Today we are sisters, you and I
and sit at the same table
I teach your child
I hold your hand
when you weep for his struggles
Or yearn for her success
And somewhere in the gathering dusk we remember the same war
We smile at our fears as we share memories with our children
And we comfort the girls that we were
On either side of that border
We move on with our lives and
We pray that our children
never ever have to face those fears
as we yearn for the rains of our long-lost homes
We pray that we are safe together
You and I.

No comments: