Monday, January 19, 2009

Pages of history

Interesting that when I Googled "Roots", links popped up about the apparel line. I smiled and tried Alex Haley, remembering that I was an impressionable high school student when I had first read the book. To this day, I remember the horror I had felt when I read the stories of capture and sale.

Long before I read Gone With The Wind or To Kill a Mockingbird or Cry The Beloved Country, this book with all its very visceral tug had reminded me that there were many stories out there that I knew nothing about.

Following a meandering path of life and career I landed on Canadian shores and as many know my 7 years here have nothing in common with stories of oppression, told and untold. Yet I sit here, on the edge of my seat ready to witness another page of history being turned. I was on bed rest expecting my firstborn when I saw Nelson Mandela being sworn in. I was alone at home and miles away from the special place where HOPE shone anew,. Yet I had felt more alive than I ever had before

People often ask me, as if I am somewhat naive: How does it matter to you?

Was she ( a lost sister) your own?
Was he ( a rejoicing brother) one of yours?

Yes, I say, they are mine. How could they not be? Why else would my eyes glint with unshed tears at the pain or joy of either?

For through all the years, whatever we have witnessed together, as a people, for whatever we leave our children, some small gifts of hope shine forever. Tomorrow is one such moment.

Jan 20th, 2009.

It is my history too !!

No comments: