Saturday, November 1, 2014

I like to write with brightly coloured pens

I like to write with
brightly coloured pens
on days like this
when the Universe
smiles in simple ways

when a curly-haired boy
plays the saxophone
and hums under his breath
driving me crazy
in an endearing way

or my honey-eyed daughter
rests on my shoulder
several heads shorter than hers
before running off to catch
one more diamond-bright dream

or a behind-the-scenes team
pulls together
to find answers to questions

and the hope of hugging my sister everyday
actually seems possible

when an almost-forgotten L@S grant
comes through, unexpected
making me whoop in delight

that my students will have what they need
although I have no Godfather anywhere

high above the clouds
the sun continues to shine
somewhere in the world, all day

I remember this universal truth
as I continue to write with

brightly coloured pens.

(c) 14th April 2011

No comments: