Wednesday, July 30, 2014

For Abshir, on this sunlit day


What kind of a world is this
Where young men call their friends in the wee hours

To tell of a brother shot dead 
At the kerbside ?

 I find out from 
An app alert
And hope 
that it isn't you

Naah, I say
Surely there's more
Of your name, Abshir 
Though I knew that
There's just one you
Who found time to chat between classes
And apologized for a late response to an email 
just a few months ago

I hope and 
block out 
all questions swirling 
like fallen leaves 
through my scattered mind

But confirmations come
"Our Abshir?" I ask
And a response: yes, 
our Abshir!

then the numb hollow
In my heart
In this 
tortured, 
twisted 
space

An email mocks me 
My inbox, 
With your heartfelt words 
Just like at
Winters and TEL
"I'll come to your class someday
I promise"

Come to my class today
You did, Abshir 
we 
taught 
poetry 
together
Like 
we'd 
planned to

Me, trapped in this
Heavy cage of bones

And you, 
a wisp of mist
This sunshine day
already a memory

What kind of place is this
Where we mourn 
young men
Dead before their time
What 
kind 
of place 
is 
this? 

July 8th, 2014(c)
Parking lot of summer school




No comments: