Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Part 2: Who is Once More?


Once More was a race horse, retired though. She was my noble steed up and down the beach. There are some photos of her with me sitting on her back, little grainy black and white ones with serrated edges.

I would take the whip out of the horseman chacha's hand and say to him: usko matt maro. I would ride to the end of that beach and ride back to my parents as they sat together on the sand watching me come towards them.

Chacha said to my parents long before I could even make words: "Yeh ladki paani ko dhappuda bolti hai" I sure came a long way from that nonsense word.

Pappa and Amma always told me what he said to them about me every time they talked about the beach and horse rides: "Yeh ladki Jhansi ki Rani hai." Well, I don't know about that, though I have always admired Lakshmi Bai. I think Chacha had a part to play in that.

I do not believe that Lakshmi Bai was Mardani or manly though that is how she is lauded in some songs. She was a brave woman, period. 
She rode like a queen and strong woman and she rode like a mother protecting her child. 

Horses, ah! She was a tough one, Once More. She had that well fed rounded belly. I can smell her even as my eyes blur now. I know just north of where I live, there are stables. And they give lessons. 

One more item just went on that bucket list. 



No comments: