Friday, February 15, 2013

My shoe story


Torn, worn shoes
Shoes too large
Laced untied

And now,
I am asked to remind
and teach
and check shoelaces
In addition to teaching !

My heart runs to that story
looks past the 6 pairs of shoes I own
and 7 pairs of sandals for summer
and parties
I change shoes regularly

Now

My feet remember the burn
of hot asphalt

My shoes in grade 10
had holes you see

And Amma said
Can you make do
for a few more weeks

Can you please,
first born daughter
continue to walk

with holes in your shoes
for a few more weeks

Your 3 younger siblings
need shoes too

you know.

Now when I push back
I speak for the other Amma

whose children wear
shoes too large for their feet
with frayed laces

and all I can think of
is the pain
that shone through Amma's tears
when she saw my worn soul.



No comments: